I’ve put together a list of goals that are fairly common for any organization that is seeking improvements to its business outcomes, practices and purpose:
These goals are generic to any organization regardless of social media. As you integrate social media as a method to achieve those goals, the results can be exponentially realized.
- Improve how employees learn from eachother so they can be better at their job;
- Improve how employees share their knowledge so that they and the organization can capture that knowledge for documenting best practices, innovating or creating new practices, replication, adaption etc.
- Improve how employees can connect to eachother across a disparate workforce;
- Modernize communication systems to increase innovation and advocacy among employees and meet demands of tech savy workers and consumers;
- Improve user/visitor satisfaction with services and engagement with employees;
- Improve response time to changing demographics and consumer needs;
- Improve relationships amongst employess and with consumers, supporters, partners, funders, volunteers (trust & transparancy);
I found some very useful information on the Forrester Research – Forrester Wave: Enterprise Social Platforms Q3 2011 Report. You can get it here but you do need to leave your contact information with Newsgator.
I didn’t make them smart goals as to do that is an a process you follow to drill down into your specific circumstances.
There are others that could be added but 7 seems like a reasonable number. What do you think? If you have a few to add, please put them in a comment.